Lords Taverners Record

Lord's Taverners Record (U.K.) / 1957

back next

Design: The font used for the label name is an Italian Old Style, based on a style developed by printers of the 15th century Renaissance. The artists on the record were high-profile entertainers of the day, whose royalties helped boost a charity which enjoyed high favour in the performing arts community.

History: Lord's Taverners was a charitable organization founded in 1950 by a group of actors who used to meet regularly in a pub (tavern) near the hallowed cricket-ground of Lord's, with the aim of providing and improving sports ground facilities and for promoting the game of cricket among young people. Lord's, the home of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), is located in St. John's Wood, North London. The label was pressed by Decca. Label scan courtesy of collector Kjell Thorsen of Norway.




site map   era index