Design: Similar to several other Art Deco-inspired designs of the 1930s in the use of large-scale lettering for the label name in a geometric sans-serif style, following the outer curve (e.g. Silverton).
History: Label scan courtesy of collector Lucyna Lachowicz of Poland. Thanks to collector Georg Richter of Germany for the following additional info: "Grohag was a German (Jewish-owned) group purchasing organization supplying department and chain stores, in particular the Schocken department stores (which also had their own purchasing organization in Berlin, as well as their own record label, Audiphon). Founded in 1920 in Berlin, the ownership of Grohag was transferred to non-Jewish owners in 1936 in accordance with Nazi government policy. In 1981 Grohag was moved to Wiesbaden, to become part of the Kaufring purchasing organization (for chain stores of same name), but the Grohag name was dropped in 1985. 100-series Grohag records were manufactured from 1932 to 1934 by the Brillant factory in Berlin-Wilmersdorf, using masters from the Brillant catalogue (Brillant was the predecessor of the German Tempo label). The Grohag brand name was used not only for records, but also for some other products such as compact cassettes. The reason for the creation of organizations such as Grohag was to enable smaller-size chain stores and department stores to gain the benefit of lower prime costs for both branded and bulk ('no-name') goods, in order to compete with their bigger trade rivals."