Currys

Currys (U.K.) / c. 1930

back next

Design: An octagonal format with jagged lettering for the label name which attempts to tie in with the electrical flash travelling across the middle. The royalty stamp area, following the same angle as the label name, is positioned off to one side rather than being centred, to allow the maximum space for imprinting. Though the label name occupies the entire upper segment, the fairly new technology of electrical recording (as distinct from the earlier acoustic horn) is also being promoted as a selling feature.

History: The well-known Curry (or Curry's) chain of stores was founded in 1884 and initially sold bicycles, gramophones and other goods; though taken over in 1984 by DSG International, the brand name remains today. Label scan courtesy of music researcher and collector Bill Dean-Myatt of the U.K., who writes that the label used masters from Piccadilly records (note the credit for the Piccadilly Dance Band; the typefaces used for the imprinting, a bold 'grotesque' and roman italic, are identical to those used on the Piccadilly label).




site map   era index