Design: The image of the Festspielhaus, the opera house in the German city of Bayreuth, has been redrawn from the previous label, and the Gothic lettering for the label has been replaced by Roman lettering. Gothic lettering was commonly used for display and continuous text setting in German books, newspapers and general printing until a directive from Martin Bormann of the Nazi party in 1942 made Roman lettering the official standard for all printed communication throughout the Reich, in preparation for administrative efficiency in a Nazi-run world government. Many thousands of tons of lead type had to be scrapped and recast, creating a strain on the printing industry at a critical time in the country's history.
History: Manufactured by Telefunken, a company originally founded in 1903 as a joint venture between two large German companies, Siemens & Halske and Allegemeine Elektrizitats-Gesellschaft. However, the record label of the same name was not launched until 1932 when Telefunken decided to take over the record technology and matrices from the bankrupt Küchenmeister conglomerate. Label scan courtesy of collector Georg Richter of Germany.